One of our subscribers has asked us: Can flowers harm my dog? Are there any outdoor poisons I should be aware of?
Spring is fantastic. There is light and flowers and life in abundance. You and your pet will probably be keener to get outside than you were a few months back. Dogs can be very keen to get their paws on tasty and different delights. However, not everything out there is good or safe for them to eat. While some are pretty, you might want to ditch these dangers altogether.
Here’s a rundown of the common garden toxins – although this is not a complete list.
Outdoor poisons during Spring
Daffodils and other narcissus bulbs: This plant is a lovely sign of Spring, but the effect of a dog eating one is not so great. It’s vital to keep dogs away from daffodils (or avoid having them in your garden), as consuming one can cause severe nausea, vomiting and diarrhoea.
Tulips: The effects of eating Spring’s fine red bloomer can have similar but less severe symptoms to daffodils.
Spring Crocus: These are different from Autumn Crocus, which are planted later in the year. While the latter are highly toxic, Spring Crocus can cause bad stomach upset, vomiting and diarrhorea.
Larkspur: As well as causing loose bowels, eating Larkspur seeds can lead your dog to get depressed.
Outdoor poisons in other seasons
Foxglove: You can also include this one as one that will cause bad stomach upset if your dog ingests it.
Amaryllis: These pretty, striking red flowers can warm up a winter garden or house (grown indoors and out), but when eaten by a dog, can also cause vomiting and diarrhoea
Autumn Crocus: The effects of eating this are worse than with Spring Crocus. As well as intense vomiting, it can also cause kidney and respiratory failure.
Oleander: Eating these can cause complications of the heart.
FERTILIZERS (COMMERCIAL AND NATURAL) – DOG POISONS
Using fertilizer is a way to keep a garden healthy, but it is no good for your pooch. The commercial variety contains harmful chemicals, while the more organic fertilizers can contain toxic or dangerous substances, including meal remains.
WILD MUSHROOMS AND TOADSTOOLS (FUNGI) – DOG POISONS
There are many different varieties of fungi in the UK, with differing toxicity levels (from none to severe). The effects of those which are dog poisons can range from mild stomach aches to kidney failure. As it can be difficult to tell them apart, the Dogtor advises you to keep your dog away from all of them (to be safe).
If you think your dog has eaten something poisonous, call your vet immediately.
Looking for something great to treat your dog with? Try our monthly-themed boxes!
Leave a Comment