…and how to avoid them
Halloween is a time for fun, and although that might mean spooky, we don’t think it should be too scary – at least not involving danger to pets. There might be Halloween hazards to your dog, if you throw a celebration, so here are some precautions to be wary of.
Yes, just like during Easter and Christmas, chocolate might be more available in the home (and why shouldn’t it be?). It is therefore, vital to keep it out of reach of your dog. Chocolate contains the chemical Theobromine – a poisonous substance for pooches.
If ingested, the severity of symptoms will vary depending on how dark the chocolate is, how much your dog eats, and their size. The darker the chocolate, the more severe the effects are – unsurprisingly a similar amount will affect smaller dogs much more than bigger ones.
Even white chocolate can cause diarrhoea and vomiting, so be extra careful not to leave around any at all.
Chocolate is also a stimulant, so your dog is likely to also become excitable if he/ she eats any. So, when the dogs come to play, keep the chocolate out of the way!
CANDLES IN PUMPKINS –
Perhaps the most potentially dangerous of Halloween Hazards is a fallen and alight candle. Keep those glowing, carved pumpkins out of reach and out of tail-wagging distance. A collapsed candle might lead to your dog getting burnt or a carpet catching ablaze. Keep an eye on and monitor closely to ensure a lit pumpkin won’t be knocked to the floor.
TRICK OR TREATERS
The doorbell could well be ringing more frequently this Halloween evening. Of course, some dogs are completely cool with strangers, but others might not be. If your dog is often anxious when strangers are at the door, take steps to keep your dog calm and occupied throughout the evening. Kids in masks and costumes, as well as the unfamiliar smell of these visitors, might be unsettling, so be sure to give your pup some extra attention.
SWEETS AND WRAPPERS
Eating a lot of sugar can result in pancreatitis in dogs, but this isn’t the only reason why they should not ingest sweets. Their wrappers can cause obstruction in their gut, which can be dangerous. Therefore, keep the confectionery out of reach.
If you think your dog has eaten something it shouldn’t have, inform your vet immediately, letting them know what / how much you think your dog has consumed.
Looking for something great to treat your dog with? Try our monthly-themed boxes!