Dogs are sociable animals that need company. Most dogs don’t like being left alone and may suffer with nothing to do for long periods of time.
You need to:
- Make sure your dog has opportunities to spend enough time with people and friendly dogs so that it is less likely to become lonely or bored.
- Encourage your dog to be friendly towards other dogs and allow it to interact with friendly dogs on a regular basis.
- Give puppies regular opportunities to socialise with other dogs and people.
- Provide dogs which live together enough extra resources – such as toys, beds, food and water bowls and places where they feel safe – to stop them from becoming competitive and fighting with each other.
- Make sure that dogs in your care are handled properly and are not stressed or endangered by other adults, children or animals, including people who look after your dog for you when you are away from home.
- Provide dogs safe toys to keep them busy while you are away.